Spiritual Growth by Detoxing From Judgment | Gabby Bernstein
Your judgments are a block to spiritual growth.
On this episode of the podcast, Connor goes into depth with Gabby Bernstein about her new book Judgment Detox. This new volume is a powerful step-by-step guide to overcoming the state of judgment, which holds us in its grip and stops us from making any progress on our path to spiritual growth.
Finding Bottom to Reach the Top
The Role of Judgment in Hindering Spiritual Growth
The Judgment Detox
Step 1: Witness Your Judgment Without Judgment
- Take inventory by asking four questions:
- What/who am I judging?
- How does it make me feel?
- Why do I feel justified in this judgment?
- Is there an experience from my past that is triggering this judgment?
- Note: It’s important to not judge your judgments. This perpetuates the problem and creates a judgment cycle.
Step 2: Honor the Wounds
- Recognize and honor the fact that beneath every judgment is a deep rooted wound (the Shadow)
- Use the Emotional Freedom Technique, which is like psychoanalysis and acupuncture combined where you heal the root cause and energy that lives beneath the judgment
Step 3: Put Love on the Altar
- Become conscious of the fact that we are prioritize judgment and give it a pedestal that defines our experience.
- In this step we change our intention to put love on the alter/pedestal so we experience life in a more strengthening way
- It feels weakening to be walking around with the negative story and the judgment we carry of others. Through prayer/intention you begin to see things through the lens of love rather than fear
- Whatever your avenue of faith and belief is, surrender to it and lean in to it as it allows you to rewire your brain in a more positive manner
Step 4: See for the First Time
- Practicing seeing through the lens of compassion, seeing people with the eyes of what is working, thriving rather than the past story
- Take the circumstances you judged just yesterday for example, and in this case decide to focus on what is working in that scenario. Find the good and identify it – what did you learn? What behavior did you walk away with?
- Ask yourself how do I feel? Why do I feel this way? Physically, emotionally, energetically? Do you feel weak, strong, positive, negative?
- This section highlights the cost you’re paying for your judgments
Step 5: Cut the Cords
- There are 6 Meditation practices in this section to go through a mental cleansing. When we judge, there is an invisible energy cord that connects you to the person you are judging. You can use meditation to cut the cord.
- What becomes possible by cutting the cords: great healing and letting go of the past stories. You get to create new possibilities and resolutions.
- The miracle of cutting the cords is that all that’s left is love
Step 6: Bring your Shadows to the Light
- This step is designed to forgive and let go of the past story that we carry
- The beauty of forgiveness is not something you have to do, but something you have to be ready for.
How Long Does This Take?
You Can View the Episode on YouTube
Guest Bio — Gabby Bernstein
Gabrielle Bernstein is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Universe Has Your Back, and has written five additional bestsellers. She was featured on Oprah’s SuperSoul Sunday as a “next-generation thought leader,” and The New York Times named her “a new role model.” She appears regularly as an expert on The Dr. Oz Show and co-hosted the Guinness World Record largest guided meditation with Deepak Chopra.
Gabby is the creator of the Miracle Membership, a first-of-its-kind monthly subscription that helps people stay committed to their spiritual practices. Her flagship course, Spirit Junkie Masterclass, empowers people to awaken their confidence and live their purpose.
Gabrielle has been on an international speaking circuit since 2004. She has presented lectures at Google, TEDxWomen, Oprah’s SuperSoul Sessions, The Chopra Center, The Omega Institute, L’Oréal, Philosophy and The Huffington Post, among many other notable organizations.
Gabrielle is a certified Kundalini yoga and meditation teacher. She is also trained in the Emotional Freedom Technique and she’s a student of Transcendental Meditation, as taught by the David Lynch Foundation.
YouTube chose Gabrielle as one of its 16 YouTube Next Video Bloggers. Mashable included her in its list of 11 Must-Follow Twitter Accounts for Inspiration. Forbes called her one of the 20 Best-Branded Women.
Gabrielle is a regular guest on The Dr. Oz Show and has contributed to or been featured in media outlets such as SuperSoul Sunday, Today, CNN, Home & Family, Fox & Friends, PBS, Kathie Lee and Hoda, Access Hollywood, OWN’s Help Desk, The New York Times Sunday Styles section, Teen Vogue, ELLE, InStyle, Marie Claire, Health, SELF, Women’s Health, Glamour, The Sunday Times UK, People, The Wall Street Journal, The Thrive Global podcast, Lewis Howes’ School of Greatness, Bulletproof Radio and many more. Gabrielle has also been on the covers of Experience Life and Self-Made magazines; the latter named her one of the top 50 women in business.
Gabrielle is on the steering committee for Philosophy’s Hope and Grace Initiative and a Lululemon Global Yoga Ambassador.
In January 2018 Gabrielle launches her sixth book, Judgment Detox.
More on The Podcast/Blog:
For more episodes visit us at ManTalks.com
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Thank You to the Team:
Editing & Mixing by: Aaron Johnson